Bike Kaos, New Roommate, and Surprise Meal x2

In general I love mystery, spontaneity, and a touch of kaos, so it was to my pleasure that biking home the other day I biked right in front of a large vehicle that began honking insistently at me. It turned out to be Matt, Georgie, and Nathan, prior Prin roommates and college chums. I stashed my bike in the trunk for an expenses paid trip to Cici's Pizza, which was alright with me for the handle bars on my bike are now loosely flopping up and down. It is a pain to ride, but it is encouraging me to learn to control the bike without the use of handle bars, which I've been meaning to practice for awhile. (And no worries parental units for I'll have it fixed tomorrow; they still rotate the front wheel left and right steadily - I just can't lean all my weight on them when I stand on the peddles.)

So I'd definitely recommend Cici's Pizza if you don't like weird food like Asian, African, Mediterranean, etc. For me, I love the complex flavors of items that aren't pizza, pizza with vanilla frosting, or common Amer'can dishes. As well, Cici's caters to the taste buds of ten year olds (hence their free food for youngsters) of whom I'm no longer a member, and I'd feel a little more satisfied having lamb meat with tzatziki sauce and feta, and a baklava for dessert.

After wonderful socializing @ Cici's and going to Lafayette Wednesday evening, one of my dinner partners is now my roommate. Nathan will be living and working at Prin in about a week if everything goes according to plan, but for now he needs a place to stay since he just flew into STL for interviews. My other potential roommate this summer is Brian Kamusinga (which is at least a spelling better than Singapore *glare at spell check*). He may soon be in the same boat as Nathan, waiting for Prin interviews so he can assume the position of Chemistry Overlord, errrr Time Lord if you've met him.

My second surprise meal this week happened right after I got a call from one of my many Coloradoan aunts. As she and my uncle Bill pass through on their way home from Michigan, I joined them for a very beautiful picnic in Forest Park, of which I'll have photos soon to prove its beauticity. The STL art museum with a gigantic horseman sculpture is framed atop an expansive grassy hillside, in front of which we ate around the famous fountains (which you'll just have to imagine since wikipedia has no photos of them). I'll try to remember a few questions they had about my job which might be lingering in your mind as well:

  • I don't record my hours worked, just hours missed due to sick days or vacation
    • It is a very trusting work environment, and I don't expect people cheat on their hours
  • I've been coding fixes for bugs in management and organizational software
    • Mathematical analysis and sciency software is also within the scope of my position, but not as much so far as software that tracks the multitude of analyzing going on.
    • DNA is read as potentially hundreds of millions of fragments - it is impossible with today's technology to read it end to end perfectly, so we only ready fragments of 100 bases out of billions. Of course this data goes through heavy processing that can take days. It might go through hundreds of pieces of software that different people have written. Something has to track the data and catalog it as it goes through each step of the processing. Greasing the system and automating everything is where I fit in. I keep the "pipeline" running so the scientists can continue experimenting smoothly without getting lost in computer management. This also allows the software and data to quickly and automatically go out to the public, which is required since we're federally funded.
    • My team is called Analysis Pipeline, and now you know why

Real quick, the hole in my north room wall is all sewed up thanks to Tristan, my land lord, who was fixing the now-fixed shower. ATM Rich has made hummus and naan bread, so I'm definitely leaving to eat some of that.

PS: It looks like I won't be attending the STL game jam, because I don't have a ride. I would have been programming games with a team of people right now at a free community building software developer meet-up. Its alright though, I'm sure STL has plenty to offer me this weekend.

Comments

Popular Posts