Gibs and Night Bikes

*Downstairs door creaks open* Yo dawg, can we come in? - No, scram! - ...pause...door closes and creaks open again... - Dat man ova der said thers wata in here. - Well he's wrong; now get out of here, git! git out! - Ahh mang! - SHOOO! - *door slams shut* - Sorry about that, where were we? Right, discussing javascript programming.

Silicon Ghetto: Tech startup companies claiming new territory on a block in the inner city of St. Louis. A place with plenty of character, excitement, and car thefts.

Node JS and Ruby on Rails are awesome. After seeing node js in action and hearing about rails at the javascript meetup, I'm pretty excited to drop Python tutorials. The node js presenter had a command line chat room running, after just a few minutes of installing from scratch and programming in the lush event driven javscript. If you don't know what any of this means, just look at any popular interactive site like twitter, and imagine harnessing the power to create sweet web applications, just like those or better. Some day soon google chrome os (the computer that is only a web browser) will be more useful than running installed applications on windows pc's.

My second encounter with the silicon ghetto was last night/this morning. More than 10 people gathered to program and share ideas all night long. It was a blast, meeting new people who share my interests, listening to world-changing tech ideas, and playing with our guard dog built like a pony - all within the sweet context of a mocha frappe. I completed level editing for my little game I'm making to learn javascript. I'll post it on heliohost at some point, which is a great free service if you want your own custom and professional website/server. Too bad I'm probably not at liberty to tell you about other's ideas, but you may see them launch soon enough.

So I got out of bed around 6pm today and went night biking in Forest Park. Surprisingly there were plenty of people running and biking along with me on the paths. Since the sun had gone down it was a chilly 95F, and I looped around the entire park, getting back to my freezer of an apartment, 85F, after 8. This is such great weather I bet Harry, my little brother, is just itching to take a road trip and visit me, maybe renting an old car and saving by not installing AC. On a more serious note, I didn't notice anything sketchy about the park, even at such a later hour, but to allay my friends' and familys's fears I certainly won't make a habit of night biking.

In a few hours I'll visit the historic Tivoli theater to see a movie that I think was filmed in the 80s. Its an old zombie action flick called Army of Darkness so I'm expecting plenty of satisfying shotgun/chainsaw gibs. I wonder if Bruce Campbell will be more satisfying than Potter?

My immediate future brings a free day off work Monday because I'm learning about employment at Wash U and sitting through (people tell me boring) seminars. Thursday is a Drupal meetup which I'd have to chose over Wash U's free jazz if I went. The next week I'll see the Trigun movie at the amazing Shriner Temple Moolah theater at midnight with Genevieve. And everything else I do will be completely sporadic and motivated by the moment, potentially bringing even more exciting things in the next couple weeks, like visiting Byte Works.

Adios amigos y buenas noches, de San Louis!

Comments

Popular Posts