Independence

So many decisions and so much to learn when living on your own after college... maybe my blog will be useful to others if I remember to upkeep it.

Suddenly getting a new roadbike is a bad idea. I traded it for a hybrid because the riding style is so different and it only really works on roads. I wish I had just stuck with Randy's Recycled Cycles for slightly reduced quality and greatly reduced price, making it fairly low risk.

I'm a much stronger performer at work now. I have a good enough grasp on the system to understand how I would make major changes, even if I need more specific practice doing so. I believe my superiors are impressed with my ability to learn quickly, and as ever I'm still impressed with the great work environment.

I still need to devote time to cooking. I made spaghetti but not anything else significant recently, and I think cooking as a habit would be very useful.

A couple night ago I went to another programming javascript meetup, focused on smart phone and tablet coding for websites. We learned about jQuery Mobile and I went through some of the site's tutorial. I'm impressed and will attempt more when I get an android phone.

Now for a quick sad story about transportation. (Warning: Never attempt to be this noobish!)
I wanted to visit Georgie yesterday who lives west of St. Louis a good number of miles, but I left work late and felt rushed. First and biggest mistake: Never feel rushed when dealing with trains and buses. I flew down to the train station on my bike, after scribbling down some directions, and hopped on a train going east. Second mistake: Never hop on a random train just because it is the only one at the station when yours is supposed to be there. I stayed on this train through one stop because I wanted to confirm that it was the wrong one, even though we were clearly racing away from a setting sun. Third mistake: Just trust the sun, it is rarely wrong. I got off on the third stop away (the second stop was under construction and we weren't allowed to get off). The correct train stopped across from us at the same instant and I moved too slowly to board it before the doors closed. They only give you like 8 seconds! I boarded the right one 25 minutes later and road it to the penultimate stop (which I had mistaken for my final destination). This stop had the correct bus line running through it, but less frequently and not as late, so all the bus line 57's were done for the evening by the time I got there. I never realized it was the wrong station, and I should have ridden the train for 3 more minutes to the following stop in Maplewood. At this point I was about ready to go home, but I decided to try biking with Georgie directing me by cell phone. Big embarrassing mistake: Never bike while taking directions by cell phone. Within a few minutes I fell off my bike and decided to go home after cleaning myself up in the Walmart restrooms. Since then I've had a good nights rest at my apartment. I'm a little sore and scratched but much wiser, and the wisdom will stick with me after the soreness goes away.

Comments

Popular Posts