Funky Butt

I'm tired from sitting around all day at work (except for the regular small hike to lunch). I think I'll just lie down on my couch to recover ... wait why would sitting around more be good? Maybe I'll run around forest park. *check email* It's getting kinda late (7:10), what is there to do now? Perhaps something is on google calendar? Hmm, jazz at the bistro? $10 for those with a college or university ID? Within biking distance, a block from the Moolah Theatre? Sweet!

"Would you like to sit front?"
"Huh?"
"Front center - that spot is always open"
"Oh, sure, it doesn't bother me, sounds fine"
*Woah, I'm gonna be hit in the face if that guy plays trombone much more energetically!*
*...and I'd melt out of my chair if this music was any better - 3 chills and only been here a few minutes*

The whole band was on fire throughout the night: Electric guitar, trombone, trumpet, sax, tuba, and drums. The trumpeter was probably the best I've ever seen live, stringing rifts together beyond what I ever dreamed I could do on my trumpet. The sax guy did give me a lead for taking jazz piano lessons around St. Louis, with someone in Wash U's music department.

Throughout the show the trombone and trumpet were cracking jokes to each other whenever they weren't playing, and part way through one jumps on the mic to explain, "We're just having fun, saying stuff like, Are you thinking about that guy's fries as much as I am? You know he's not going to eat that many.", pointing to me. I protectively cover my fries, and for the rest of the show, they're teasing me by ending their comments with stuff like, "...while that guy didn't even share his fries with us.". I talked with all of them afterwards and got signatures - what a great personality their band has. The Funky Butt band was awesome and hopefully I can get Rich to join me at Jazz at the Bistro tomorrow.

A couple weeks ago I went to Lola's, an absinthe bar, to listen to a jazz band. They started playing much later than what I saw online, and had few strong solo's so I left early. However the artwork in Lola's was amazing. Particularly, the painting beside my table looked like bellsprout in a darth vader outfit. I also finished all the concepts I need to continue programming Set in HTML5, but I haven't had a good stretch of time to implement them yet in javascript code.

Quote other news:

  • I got a desktop from FreeGeek to run a server out of my apartment. If you need an SSH account or just some tiny basic webhosting talk with me, hehe, although I'd recommend heliohost.org for good free webhosting
  • I got a bike and ordered a new laptop (my current one shuts itself off periodically, kinda old from when I started college)
  • I made more grape leaves, also fried rice, stirfry, and tomorrow probably stuffed peppers
  • Rich and I played nerdy card and board games at my coworker's house. We beta tested a new super hero card game that another co-worker is developing. Its kinda like a serious version of munchkins but playing to beat a particularly strong boss rather than each other.
  • I looked after Genevieve's brother Kent last weekend and played probably too much Heroes of Newerth
  • My land lord wants to sell my apartment. If I don't buy it, the new owner could boot Rich and I, so I have through the end of this year to think about buying it. The location is awesome, but because of that the price is steep, and so are the multiple flights of stairs to the top floor where we live.
  • Completely psyched for Skyrim!

Comments

Popular Posts