Vintage Vinyl and La Maar

I met a nice guy on the Delmar Loop after dropping my bike off to be repaired an hour ago. It needed repairs from my spill a few weeks back - just wheel alignment, and'l be done in a week. Well La Maar sells magazines in front of Vintage Vinyl near the bike shop and was looking for something to eat. His sister wasn't home and he was having a rougher time this evening I think. I learned about the homeless shelters around St. Louis and about giving a hand up rather than a hand out to pan-handlers. La Maar is a registered worker for Whats Up Magazine - showed me his badge and a profile inside the zine. He makes 75 cents per sale and uses it for food and car-fare which is $38 a month. His daughter is working in real estate and his son is in the national guard. We didn't spend too long eating at Lee's Chicken because his mom just had an operation at 80 years old, and he wanted to be back tonight to see her.

A couple years ago at a WV college, I watched a documentary on america's homeless. I met the producers and they gave me permission to distribute the documentary to my friends. So here it is! It's a really active, touching, and motivating film. The producers tour the US in a modified bus that runs on restaurant throw-away grease. They help people out and have a nifty ending scene.

Comments

Popular Posts